Getting Our Hands Dirty

Over the past week we've been up on the roof deck a lot. We've been cleaning and planting and trying to get things ready for the summer so that we can enjoy it a little more than we did last year.



As you can see, Gunnar is developing a real taste for horticulture.



He's also a giver. "Mmm, bark. Thank you."



Here's Chris, sweeping up all the dead leaves and dirt from last summer.



Here's Gunnar, putting more dead leaves and dirt on the deck.



What are you looking at, sweetheart?



Maybe your handsome father?



I love watching Gunnar learn and explore. Makes me reconsider things like grass and petals and small pieces of dirt. He's so inquisitive.



And so pretty.



Gunnar concocted his very first batch of mud in that bucket.



...and then he decided to drink deep from his earthy mug and get a real taste of his creation.



Delicious.

3 Comments:

  1. sarah said...
    I'm so glad you let him explore and get dirty and drink mud and taste flowers like that. It's so good for them to figure stuff out and they will eventually decide for themselves that it all tastes yucky, (well that's the theory anyway, although June has yet to decide that).
    LosPeterson said...
    I'm so glad to hear you say that Sarah! I've found lately that what I consider to be education (mud soup), others consider to be neglect! I think you're right though. I'm just hoping Gunnar grows out of it before grade school. Nobody wants their kid to be the glue-eater.
    Anonymous said...
    Not to worry, Renae. School glue is just flour and water -- just remember to send him to school with a little vanilla extract and he'll be the hit of the class!

    Aunt B

Post a Comment