I guess it's the time of year. A couple of weeks ago our niece Samantha got married and last week my brother Andrew did the same. Due to the current cost of airfare, I went to Andrew's (in SLC) and Chris went to Samantha's (in LA).
Weddings are so interesting.
And I mean that in the good interesting kind of way. Watching two (almost always) very different families come together is always interesting. And weird. How can it not be? Every family has it's own traditions and culture and belief system. Even in cases where the two soon-to-be's family's share the same religion, there are always stark differences.
And that is what I LOVE to watch! I've always enjoyed seeing what happens when different kinds of people come together. Doesn't everyone?
I know that when Chris and I got married it was probably weird for our families. At the time, of course, I don't think either Chris or I were particularly aware of this. I know I was mostly concerned about the fact that my hairdresser had gone to a rave the night before and was obviously still high on something when he fashioned my hair into an up-do that looked like I was attempting to hide a giant tumor on the left side of my head (not joking or exaggerating - ask Chris).
I guess if we were aware of any weirdness, we didn't care. It was our day and if someone was feeling weird, they would have had to suck it up and deal (I think most married couples are of the same opinion on their wedding day).
Regardless of any and all weirdness though, we are really, really happy for all of our loved ones who are in love and getting married right now. We congratulate them and say, "bring on the cake!" and "hooray for the guy without any rhythm dancing in the middle of everyone!" and "OK . . . I'll hug you . . . even though I just met you 2 hours ago." Besides, what else aside from the marriage of two people could bring so many weirdos together in celebration? And anyway, we all know that one person's weirdo is another person's aunt. Am I right?
Which reminds me - I really need to end this post now so I can get back to watching the Olympics. I am so glad I listened to the Dalai Lama and decided not to boycott them this year. It would have been tooooo hard not to watch them!
P.S. For those of you who only read our blog "for the pictures", patience please - I'll put some up soon.
Labels: Posted by Renae
3 Comments:
-
- Owen said...
August 21, 2008 at 7:26 AMI am a fan of people watching as well! If I'm patient enough, can you post a picture of the "rave enduced/tumor camouflage"?- LosPeterson said...
August 21, 2008 at 1:37 PMI'll send one to your private email address . . .- Linne Haywood said...
August 22, 2008 at 1:07 PMOne person's weirdo is another person's aunt.......hmmmm, are you talking about me again?
