Yesterday I took Gunnar to Morningside Park. It's only 2 blocks from our apt. and has a beautiful little pond with a waterfall, lots of turtles and Gunnar's new favorite: Canadian Geese.
Right before we got there someone had dumped an entire bag of rice on the sidewalk, which attracted quite a feathery little crowd. When I took Gunnar out of the stroller he just sat on the grass and stared at them for a good 30 seconds (this is a long time for him to just sit still).
And then he decided to get closer.
At first he was a little hesitant. I have to admit, I was too. Some of those geese were twice his size and water birds don't usually have the reputation of being 'easy going' (remind me to tell you about the time a swan almost ripped my thumb off). But they're city birds and like most of us here, have apparently become used to people barging into their personal space without warning.
And that's just what Gunnar did.
Over and over and over again.



He LOVED making the birds fly away. And thankfully, no one got hurt in the process.
Well, no one except for the pigeon below that Gunnar accidentally tripped over and then sat on. You can see it flailing and trying desperately to get away from him. Poor little winged rat. But Gunnar was just as alarmed to find himself sitting on top of a flapping, freaked out bird. It was pretty funny . . . and gross. I ended up 'Purelling' him from the waist down. What an adventure!

I think Gunnar might need a pet. This morning when he woke up I found him standing in his crib and pointing all around the room saying "Badee! Badee!" So cute.
Labels: Posted by Renae
2 Comments:
-
- Randi said...
August 11, 2008 at 9:04 AMOkay. I can't relate to your son. I hate geese. I don't think we can be friends. At least when any flying, pooping, shedding, squawking, pooping, annoying winged things are around. All other times should still be fine.- Tiffanie and Jeff Bodine said...
August 16, 2008 at 2:18 PMHilarious! My husband loves to take my kids to feed the geese and ducks. They go to the bread outlet and pick up a shopping cart of bread. This typically lasts maybe half hour or 45 minutes. Personally I can't stand them -gross!- But they love it! ..... Hehehe! The amazing adventures of bird scattering, plant squatting, cake smearing Gunnar. I love to read them! Maybe someday Kalani will meet & play with his cousin!
