Sometimes you just need a little variety.
But, variety is hard when you are, well - let's not say lazy. Maybe more along the lines of, 'not especially motivated'.
When you are someone who is 'not especially motivated' at times, it is much easier to forgo variety and stay within a certain routine.
Like, for example, the routine that Gunnar and I have where we go to the same exact park 2 blocks from our house and play with the same kids on the same slides and swings and the same semi-nasty sandbox for an hour or two and then go home. It's fine and good and fun, but let's face it - even lazy people appreciate a little variety.
That's why we went all the way down to the bottom of Central Park and met up with my friend Caroline, who is amazing, and her 2 kids, Elijah (2 1/2) and Claire (4 months, I think?). The park down there is GINORMOUS. The sand box alone has got to be as big as our apartment. And there's a huge water park, tons and tons of swings and several items to scrape your knees and elbows on. It was great company and so much fun! Gunnar and Elijah played while Caroline and I talked and Claire slept the entire time.
After the park, I talked to my lovely sister Rhonda in Hawaii because when you're in the mood for variety - she's the one to talk to. She and I had a great conversation about diabetes, acupuncture, her fiance, Eitan and the labor intensive process of her conversion to Judaism.
A little proof for all of you who think I never answer the phone.
For those of you who don't know, my sister is an inactive Mormon who considers herself to be Taoist. She's only converting to Judaism now so that her future kids can be Jewish and her future in-laws appeased, not because she's found Elohim. (Although, I totally think He's finding her right now - but don't tell her I said so). She's getting married in Israel next summer so we're saving our pennies to go. Can't wait!
Rhonda, showing her awesome guns.
We did more things, but I used up all my motivation writing this post and I really need to finish doing laundry right now. Someone in our family is out of clean underwear so it's kind of a laundry (routine) emergency.
I guess there's a time for variety and a time when there's no getting around routine - unless you don't care if someone goes 'commando' for a few days.
Labels: Posted by Renae
3 Comments:
-
- Darci said...
September 19, 2008 at 12:09 PMI know what you mean; being a stay home mom of one can be a bit habitual. Way to shake it up, you crazy!- Owen said...
September 19, 2008 at 2:54 PMI have been known to get a little "non motivated" which has left certain people without clean underwear and instead of declaring a laundry emergency, I've recommended turning their underwear inside out until the emergency passes. Didn't work.- Nat said...
September 22, 2008 at 11:28 AMGreat post...I definitely get a little lazy. Instead of going to the park across the street, I plop Fallon on our little plot of grass at our apt. Luckily, she's growing to love the sidewalk. :) Love the Rhonda "explanation"...how I miss the Grimmer sistas.
