After an entire morning of YW church meetings Saturday, Gunnar was ready for some milk and major nap. I was ready for a sandwich and a major nap. And Chris was ready for some - skateboarding? Yep, skateboarding.

There's a skatepark not too far from our apt. It's a pretty good one. It has a nice half pipe and lots of other cool thingys to do tricks on that I'm not cool enough to know the names for.
Chris has been skateboarding since he was a little kid and even skated the same parks with famed Tony Hawk (there's a name drop for you). He's good - but he hadn't been on a halfpipe in almost 2 years! So, I think he was a tad bit nervous at first.

After warming up he got right back into the swing of things and even dropped into the halfpipe a couple of times. He did fall once and bruised his wrists up pretty bad but not as bad as Halloween last year when he fell on his stilts as witch-man.
Gunnar, on the other hand - loved it. Chris hopes to have him up on a board in the next couple years. I hope to have every part of his body padded and helmuted beforehand.

We had a great time.
But . . .
As we were walking home we ran into an old man I sometimes see in the grocery store. He's a nice guy but of the elderly sort that likes to yell at shoppers in the dairy aisle about the dangers of cheddar cheese.
When he saw Chris walking along with 2 skateboards he immediately went into a rant about how he should wear a helmut (which he does) and how 2 kids just died skateboarding on Riverside Drive last year. Followed by something along the lines of, "you punk kids are gonna kill yourselves on those dang skateboards!"
A woman who saw the exchange took one look at Chris and began laughing hysterically. Probably because she realized that he was 35 and not a 'punk kid'.
"I guess you're never too old to be scolded!" she said. I think Chris was secretly thrilled that someone confused him for being subversive. He doesn't get that as much these days as an obispo.
Labels: Posted by Renae
3 Comments:
-
- Owen said...
September 24, 2008 at 7:22 AMCrazy punk kids! We love the picture of Gunnar on the skateboard! Between that picture and the one of Gunnar drumming his heart out, Scott said he is nearly an exact replica of a young Chris!- junioraudio said...
September 24, 2008 at 10:03 PMUR2Old- LosPeterson said...
September 25, 2008 at 7:38 AMIt's funny because it's true.
