What Were You For Halloween?

There are certain psychologists who believe that the costumes we choose for festive occasions like, oh, I don't know - Halloween, can indicate subconscious beliefs about our views of the world around us and ourselves.

That said, please don't read too much into the fact that I dressed Gunnar up like a wild gorilla...



...and put myself into a giant banana suit...





...or that Chris went in his usual get-up of a frightening 8 foot tall witch/dude with long scraggly hair...and a giant axe.




First we went to the American Museum of Natural History for their annual Halloween party. It was pretty packed though and since Chris had to work, Gunn and I braved the throngs of strollers and mini dinosaurs and cinderellas on our own.





He was extremely confused at first. I didn't mind so much because this feeling generally renders him paralyzed and silent until things are deamed 'cool' again. The confusion was shortlived though and after about 10 minutes he wanted out of the stroller to dance and exlpore.


Which reminds me, I am totally buying a leash for that kid. Don't judge. You try pushing a stroller while holding the back of a running toddler by his gorilla suit. I should have dressed him like a monkey. Then at least I would have had a tail to hold onto. It was rough. Gunnar, however, thought the whole thing was hilarious and was laughing up a storm as I awkwardly struggled along behind him. Fortunately, I ran into one of my friends who helped me get our stroller parked so I could chase after my endangered species without pulling a hamstring.

We spent a little over an hour at the museum. Gunnar paid no mind to the Halloween goings ons but loved the North American animals exhibit. We saw wolves, beavers, bears, dear, rabbits, porcupines etc. To Gunnar they were all, "ooh, dog!"


Here he is crawling under the bar to get a closer look at an antelope

After that we met up with Chris and ventured down to 69th street trick-or-treating hotspot to see the 3 avenue long row of haunted houses and guy dressed as Batman repelling himself down the side of a brownstone (sorry no pics, our camera was having issues).

By 7:30 pm, Gunnar began his meltdown. So we took him home and put him in his cage (i.e. crib) to sleep.



Then Chris made his annual transformation (check out his freaky feet and fingers - those are new to this year's outfit). I dropped the monitor off with the neighbor and (still in my banana costume) walked with him through Harlem up to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.



While walking in his stilts, Chris started getting some major leg cramps. They were hurting pretty badly so he asked me if I would go to the store and buy him a banana.

For real. It was pretty embarrassing. Ten people laughed at me. One guy called me a cannibal.

Anyway, Chris and some friends ended up going down to Times Square and scared the crap out of everyone. He'll probably write more on this and maybe add some video. He didn't get home til 4:00 am. Halloween's his favorite time of year.

And why not? He gets to be taller for one day, I get to be every 6 year old's favorite fruit and Gunnar gets to be a wild animal...just like every day!

5 Comments:

  1. Nat said...
    Awesome costumes! The Petersons definitely don't disappoint. And believe me, I'm already watching some leashes on ebay. Haters- keep your leash-hatorade to yourself.

    Renae, you make a surprisingly hot banana. I'm totally freaked out by Chris's get up though...I think he's given me a phobia of masked men on stilts. Seriously, what can possibly be creepier? Maybe a banana eating another banana?
    Josie said...
    Those are great costumes! It looks like you had a Happy Halloween!
    Darci said...
    What fun. Who dosen't love Halloween, what a great time for all. Gunner is one Cute Gorilla!
    Anonymous said...
    wow, your halloween sounds amazing. i don't know if i can agree with those psychologists you were talking about who say what you dress up as has a correlation to how you view yourself etc. i dress up as a whore every year... interesting.
    i think if you dressed gunnar up as a dog you probably could've gotten away with putting him on whatever kind of leash you wanted! he would've thought is was all part of halloween. but seriously, he is the cutest gorilla ever.
    i wonder how many people in manhattan associate chris with the worst case scenario for a neighbor on the subway. he scares the hell out of me in that outfit.
    Alana, Brian, Hailey & Dakota said...
    I haven't laughed so hard in forever! Cannibal! You are the funniest banana ever! Merry Christmas and belated Halloween... Love you guys!

Post a Comment